I am not a a big cook, so when I find an easy recipe I enjoy making it. So I thought I would share this one with you guys. This meal doesn't even taste like vegan food, so even if you're not vegan you can make it too. It is actually very healthy, as it is dairy and gluten free. (See mouthwatering photos I took throughout the post.)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch of asparagus (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 1 lbs (16 ounces) arborio rice
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots (minced)
- 2 garlic gloves (minced)
- 2 vegetable stock cubes
- 3/4 to 1 cup of white wine
- 8-9 cups of water
- Salt and black pepper for taste
- Put water into a large deep pan and bring to boil. Once it is boiled put vegetable stocks in there so they can dissolve.
- Heat up a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Keep it there for about 45 seconds or until it starts to shimmer. Next, add the shallots - make sure to stir it constantly and keep it over the heat until it gets soft. After, add the garlic and keep them over the heat for about 40 seconds more.
- Add the rice afterwards. Cook and stir for about a minute, and then add the white wine. Stir everything until the wine is absorbed into the rice.
- Get a cup of the vegetable stock mix and pour it over the rice. Stir until it is totally absorbed. At this point the heat should be medium to low, because you don't want the rice to burn. You want the rice to be creamy not burned.
- Pour another cup of hot vegetable stock mix. Cook and stir constantly. Keep repeating this step until the rice is cooked throughout and feels creamy. Make sure to keep it on low heat so it doesn't go mushy!!
- Add the asparagus and just stir so the asparagus gets cooked as well. This shouldn't take long, so just make sure to keep tasting what you're cooking.
- As a finishing touch, you can add as much salt and black pepper as you like.